One of the most intimidating realities of the Big 4 is continually interacting with senior level people. Senior level people tend to be closer to senior age.
Below are 7 Tips for Interacting with Boomers:
- Be on time to every call and meeting. Be the most prepared person in the meeting. Boomers notice the little things.
- Don’t dress like a schlub – How to: Dress Ok (for men)
- Follow through. Break the stereotype of the lazy, distracted millennial. If you say you will do something, do it.
- Leave your college experience behind – no one cares about your intramural sports career, sorority function, or crazy shenanigans (unless it is an awesome story, then find a way to slip it in)
- Stay off social media during the workday.
- Don’t share how exhausted, hungover, stressed, or overwhelmed you are. Remember, that in order to get to school, Boomers walked up hill both ways in the snow…
- Listen way more than you talk. Use the 80/20 rule (they should be talking 80% of the time). This also takes the pressure of you to be interesting. Being interested is more compelling than interesting. Read this book.
In addition, Boomers can be weird about:
- Headphone usage
- Communicating by email instead of a phone call or an in-person conversation
- Shaving – unless you are getting paid to male model, lose the 5 o’clock shadow
- Flexibility – maybe don’t share that you work from home a couple of days a week
In conclusion, be yourself (unless being yourself contradicts the tips above, then maybe be a more boomer version of yourself).